Dutch Oven Enchiladas
Topic starter 01/03/2021 9:44 pm
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- ½ red onion, sliced into thin half-moons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 14 oz can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cheese
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- cilantro, jalapenos, lime, etc.
- Prepare your coals or get your campfire going so that you'll have embers to cook with.
- Over medium heat, heat the oil in a Dutch oven. Add the peppers and saute for a few minutes until they are starting to soften. Add the onions and saute until the onions are soft and translucent and the peppers are soft. Add the garlic, cumin, and salt, and saute 30 seconds, until fragrant. Remove from heat and transfer the vegetables to a plate or bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- To build the enchiladas, place onions and peppers in a line the center of a flour tortilla. Add a few spoonfuls of black beans and top with cheese. Roll the tortilla around the fillings, then place the enchilada, seam side down, into the Dutch oven. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. This recipe will make 4-6 enchiladas depending on the size of your Dutch oven.
- Cover the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and cheese. Place the lid on top.
- Return the Dutch oven to your campfire. Place it over indirect heat (the grill grate over the campfire works great) and stack 14-16 coals on the lid. Cook about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with jalapenos, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime & enjoy!
MAKE IT AHEAD
The filling can be made at home ahead of time and packed in your cooler. At camp, start with step 3.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Calories: 501kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 2584mg | Potassium: 375mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 2180IU | Vitamin C: 41.9mg | Calcium: 473mg | Iron: 4.1mg
*Nutrition is an estimate based on information provided by a third-party nutrition calculator